M2PROTEINS KNOWLEDGE RESOURCE
How to consume whey protein for better results?
Confused about how to consume whey protein ?
Lots of people use whey protein but there seems much confusion regarding how to consume whey protein, when to take it and how much to take. This blog tries to answer all of above queries in one place.
Milk or water?
Whey proteins can be taken with both milk and water
- Water:It is always suggested by trainers and athletes to take whey protein with water. Since mixing it with any other liquid can delay absorption of proteins. So if you are taking your whey after workout it is best to use water. Also water do not add any calories, fats and carbs to the shake. So people who are on weight loss diet, in cutting phase or trying to gain muscles are advised to take whey protein with water.
- Milk: Whey protein with milk tastes delicious. It tastes creamy and gives more mouthfeel than water. It almost tastes like any milk shake that you get in a restaurant. But adding milk adds calories, fats and carbs as well. So it is not recommended for people who are on weight loss diet or in cutting phase. Also milk can cause gastric discomfort to people who suffer from lactose intolerance. For people who are trying to put on mass, gain weight and not worried about additional fats and carbs present in milk, taking protein with milk is a great option.
M2proteins offers Whey Protein, Whey Isolate & Amino Acids
How much protein to take ?
- For active adults: People who live active life style are recommended to consume 0.8 – 1.2 grams of protein per kg of body weight per day. For example a person weighing about 60 kilos will need about 60 grams of protein daily. Calculate the amount of protein you are consuming daily from your diet and take the rest via whey protein.
- For people lifting weight, athletes: People who lift weight for at least 4 days a week, who are athletes, runners can consume up to 1.8 to 2.2 grams of protein per kg body weight per day. For example a weight lifter who weighs 80 kilos can consume up to 160 grams of protein per day. Calculate the amount of protein that you are already consuming via your daily diet and take the rest of amount with whey proteins.
*people should consult their dieticians, nutritionist for a detailed diet plan. Diet plans vary greatly according to age, sex, and life style and fitness goals.
When to take whey protein:
- Pre-Post workout: taking a protein shake after workout is a great way to get protein to muscles immediately. After workout muscles break down and to rebuild them it is important to supply proteins in sufficient quantity.
There is much debate around whether to take protein shake pre or post workout, in one study, protein was administered to two groups of people, one group before workout and the other group after, there was no difference found in muscle growth between two groups.So, taking protein shake before or after workout does not matter as much as the quantity of protein. But if you don’t want your shake sloshing around in stomach during workout you can opt for post workout protein shake.
- At night- Taking protein at night is a great way to support muscle protein synthesis overnight. At nights you can opt for slow release protein such as casein. The slow rate of release of casein can give you sustained release of proteins over longer period of time.
- Breakfast- you can take a protein shake along with your breakfast to complement your diet. Just add a scoop of protein to beverage of your choice and drink it with your breakfast.
- Throughout the day: People who perform intense exercise can take protein throughout the day to support muscle growth and recovery. Spread your requirement in equal amount in 3-4 servings and take them during the day.
Taking whey protein shake is a great way to get required amount of protein every day. It is tastes delicious with both water and milk. Consume your protein as per your level of activity.
Get Advice & Tips on Fitness, Diet and Protein Supplements direct to your Inbox.